Healthy, smooth and radiant skin is not something that we are born or blessed with. It needs constant and daily care that we all need to work on. Although some might be blessed with beautiful skin texture and health, it still needs certain good habits to keep it that way for life.
Having a good looking and healthy skin is what every one of us desires of, says acclaimed dietician, awarded nutritionist and women’s health specialist, Sheela Seharawat at Diet Clinic. It needs some healthy and good habits that need to be practiced daily and regularly.
She says, that the health of our skin is directly proportionate and reflection of our overall health. Our skin is the first organ of our body that starts showing our unhealthy lifestyle practices and how we take care of our bodies and ourselves.
So, the question know is that how should we make sure that our skin is glowing and healthy all the time?
Well, the simplest answer to it is by developing come simple, yet very crucial daily habits. And, above all it is not developing these habits for the good health of our skin only, but for our overall health and lifestyle.
Many around the globe spend millions of cosmetics and beauty products to get good complexion, but they all fail to understand the easiest and crucial element of skincare, effective and routine skin care.
Let’s look at some of the most vital habits.
1. Drink as much water as you can daily
The key behind having plenty of water is to keep the body hydrated and thus the skin. It is not only good for our skin but also our overall health. All the cells in our body and skin are mostly made of water and drinking water helps maintain the physiological balance of these cells and thus the skin.
A well-hydrated body and skin will barely have any pores visible, will be radiant and barely would have any imperfections. Hence, it is well-advised that instead of drinking sodas and caffeinated beverages, if you want your skin and overall health to benefits including weight loss, drink more water.
2. Eat healthily, eat fresh
Your diet determines the kind of skin you would have. The condition of the skin is a reflection of what is going inside the body and what we are feeding it with. According to the best dietitian in Chandigarh, a poor and imperfect diet will always bring a host of issues on your skin like acne, pimples, dry and lifeless skin.
Foods like fruits and vegetables are rich resources of vitamin C and other essential nutrients. These vitamins and minerals help to protect the skin from the harmful effects of free radicals and also promote faster healing and good health of the skin. Whole grains and lean proteins are also very important as it helps grow new cells and repair the damaged ones.
3. Get good sleep
As mentioned earlier, whatever happens inside the body is reflected in our skin the first. In this case, also there is a close connection between our sleep quality and skin health.
Not getting enough quality sleep directly impacts our skin by making it look dull, dry and rough. People who regularly suffer from sleep disorders are more susceptible to suffer from skin problems like eczema, psoriasis and premature aging of the skin.
Good and prolonged sleep helps in the regeneration of the skin cells and aids in the repair of the damaged ones. Dietitians who use the best nutrition software mention that interruption in sleep means that the cell does not get enough time to regenerate and the sign shows up. Develop a habit to get a minimum of seven to eight hours of adequate sound sleep in a day.
4. Always protect the skin from the sun
One of the most vital habits to develop for healthy skin is to always protect it from the sun. Excessive and inattentiveness towards sun exposure on the skin can lead to wrinkles, spots and other skin problems including skin cancer.
To protect your skin from the sun:
- Use sunscreen whenever you go out. Apply it on your skin every two hours gently and particularly if you are precipitating or swimming.
- Look for shades during the day under the direct sunlight between 10.00 am to 4.00 pm. The sun and the skin do not go together. Ninety percent of skin problems arise from sun exposure.
- Wear proper clothing while going out in the sun. Wear clothes with long sleeves and cover long trousers.
5. Always treat your skin gently
Treating the skin is important. But it is also important to treat it gently. Daily cleaning and caring of the skin are important, but harsh cleaning and even shaving can damage the skin.
- Avoid using strong soaps: Always choose mild and gentle cleansers to wash and clean the skin and body. Strong soaps and detergents can create havoc on skin health.
- Limit your bath time: Long bath times and particularly with hot water can remove the skin oils making it look dry and scaly. Use warm instead of hot water and limit your bathing time.
- Always pat dry your skin after wash and bath: Make sure that after a wash or a bath, you should pat dry the skin and not rub it with a cloth or towel. It will help retain the skin moisture.
- Always use a moisturizer: Moisturizers help to keep the skin moisturized and soft. Use one that suits your skin type and those who have dry skin must apply to their skin.
If you are concerned about the health of your skin, start developing the above mentioned good habits for healthy and glowing skin. These are just the basic habits and easy to do and follow.
Depending on the type of skin you have and it’s a condition, you should try to adapt and make changes. If you still haven’t started yet, its time you should think and act immediately before it is too late.